1. Describe a favourite Christmas ornament or decoration that was put on display when you were a child (or is put on display today). Why is it a favourite?
2 . Remind yourselves of what happens leading up to Luke 1:67-80. What factors may have prevented Zechariah from believing the angel? What factors should have helped him believe? Has God ever called you to believe the incredible? Share. What made belief easy/challenging?
3. Read Luke 1:67-80.
4. What strikes you from this passage? Why? What relevance does this idea have for your life today?
5. What hope do you find for the believer in verse 67? How have you personally experienced restoration by God?
6. What strikes you about the words “visited”, “redeemed” and “raised up”? Is there any significance about the past tense?
7. One of the ideas that Jeff stressed was that those who wait upon the Lord are never ultimately disappointed. What did he mean by this?
8. How can we keep our hope in God alive and well?
9. Read Luke 3:1-22. How did John prepare the way for Jesus? What does repentance mean? What are the results of repentance?
10. Do you think that we have a part to play in preparing people to be ready for the return of Jesus? Why or why not? If so, what is our part to play?
11. End your time together by having each person share:
i. What you must do in response to Sunday’s sermon.
ii. Encouraging words for another member of your group – how they have blessed you or others over the past couple of weeks.
iii. One area of struggle in their Christian walk.
iv. One person that they would like to see come to faith/return to God. Pray for one another in light of these three items and any other concerns your group members might have.